Sponsored BBQ Recipe AdsCreate Advert
The team over at Properoni kindly sent over some of their top-notch products for me to try out. Inspired by their quality ingredients, I’ve crafted this outdoor feast to showcase the richness and versatility of their pepperoni offerings.
This recipe centres around their Properoni Original slices tucked into smoky Hasselback potatoes, and their uncut Chorizo mingling with a sweet and savoury glaze on crispy-skinned chicken thighs.
The result is a visually stunning and flavourful dish that makes the most of these fine products, perfect for a delightful BBQ or smoking session.
So, fire up your smoker or BBQ . . . let’s do this!
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes (plus 1 hour to overnight for chicken drying)
COOK TIME: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
For the Hasselback Potatoes:
- 4 large Rooster or Maris Piper potatoes
- 1 pack of Properoni Original 80g Sliced
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil or melted butter
- Salt, pepper, and your choice of fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, or parsley would work well)
For the Chicken:
- 4 chicken thighs (skin-on)
- 1 pack of Properoni Chorizo 180g, finely diced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the BBQ Rub:
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika (smoked paprika could be a nice touch)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels.
- Season the chicken generously with salt, then place them on a wire rack set over a baking sheet.
- Transfer the chicken to the refrigerator and allow it to air dry for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight for the crispiest skin.
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Cut slits in the potatoes, about every 1/4 inch, making sure not to cut all the way through.
- Drizzle with olive oil or melted butter, then season with salt, pepper, and your choice of herbs.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat your BBQ or smoker to 190°C.
- Pat the chicken dry once more, then lightly dust with a mixture of the BBQ rub ingredients and corn-starch.
- Place the chicken on the BBQ or smoker, skin-side down, and cook for about 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through until the skin is crispy and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Simultaneously, place the prepared potatoes on the BBQ or smoker and cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until they are nearly cooked through.
Glazing and Final Cooking:
- In a bowl, mix the diced Properoni Chroizo with honey, BBQ sauce, olive oil, salt, and pepper to create a glaze.
- Brush the glaze over the chicken thighs during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking, ensuring not to burn the glaze.
- Carefully insert slices of Properoni Original into the slits of the potatoes, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese, and return to the BBQ or smoker for an additional 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly golden, and the pepperoni is warmed through.